Scott Amis is the founder of Haven Mattresses, a high-quality mattress company that delivers directly to your door. Haven Mattresses is more than just a mattress company, though, passionate about doing good in the world. In this episode, Scott shares why Haven chose a 10-to-1 model where every 10 mattresses they sell go to one person who needs it. He also shares his excitement for his new business venture, which sees mattresses stay out of landfills. Let’s hear more of Scott's story so with no further ado let’s dive in!
[00:00 - 07:55] Scott Amis Shares How He Built Haven Mattress Into A Successful Company
- Scott Amis is the founder of Haven mattress, a high-quality mattress in a box delivered right to your door.
- Haven chose a 10-to-one model where every 10 mattresses they sell. They give one away and how Scott is currently building a company that will see a significant amount of mattresses stay out of landfills.
[07:55 - 15:01] Haven's Brand Ambassador Gets HGTV Exposure
- Scott’s wife helped them get in touch with a Canadian HGTV show host, who then featured the company on their show.
- Scott credits their positive outlook and gratitude for their success
[15:01 - 22:05] Haven Mattress: Canadian Company Giving Back to the Community
- Scott shares his experience starting and growing Haven Mattress.
- He highlights how the company has been successful by focusing on quality, customer service, and philanthropy.
- The 10-to-1 model concept came to Scott after reading Tom Hsu's book and is now an essential part of the company's success story.
[22:06 - 28:42]Haven Makes a Difference with Second Slumber
- The second slumber is an online eCommerce matching service that helps people find homes for mattresses that would otherwise be sent to landfills.
- The company has been able to create a 100% success rate for mattress donations by matching them up with people in need.
- This has helped reduce the number of mattresses that end up in landfills and has also supported different charities.
[28:42 - 35:38] Second Slumber Solves Major Problem for Bed in a Box Manufacturers
- How Scott’ was looking at the industry and saw a problem having a return rate of 5%.
- He put together a team of people to fix this problem, and it took two years.
- Haven got certified that 100% of all beds built are in Forever Homes.
- They also partnered with the Canadian mental health association CMHA.
- The goal is to have every mattress company in the world do aim for wellness.
[35:39 - 42:31] How to Make a Single Mattress Every 10 and Donate It to Charity
- Scott believes making a single mattress every 10 produced, doesn't cost them much
- the truth is they end up taking a cut end of something that wasn't useful anyways, and it would be better to make a brand new bed for somebody that needs it or donate it to charity.
- Scott thinks that every mattress company should do this to help society.
[42:31 - 49:39] Scott’s Tips to Business Owners and Companies
- Scott encourages business owners to not wait until the end of the year to give, it would be better to bake giving into the fabric of your company.
- Scotts recommends businesses start giving from day one, but acknowledges that not all entrepreneurs have the same hustle drive, or experience.
- Scott encourages businesses to focus on giving big and unlocking doors for opportunities.
[49:40 - 51:42] Closing Segment
- Reach out to Scott
- See links below
- Final words
“As a society we're consuming mattresses every single day and If every mattress company gives 1 per 10, or I don't know, make it 20 if they think it's too expensive. But for every 20 we make, we're going to solve sleep problems quite easily.” - Scott Amis
Connect with Scott Amos through Linkedin
or by visiting www.havensleep.com
Tom Hsu Books
CONNECT WITH US!
Join our Facebook Group
LIKE, SHARE, AND SUBSCRIBED! Listen to the Go Big To Give Big Podcast
on different platforms.
For more information you may visit:
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands